FIRST LEGO League
WELCOME TO FIRST® LEGO® LEAGUE!
FIRST® LEGO® League (FLL®) is an international enquiry-based programme teaching students ages 9 through 16 about science, technology and collaborative working. FLL® is a partnership between the non-profit organisation FIRST® (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) and the LEGO® Group. It had its first season in 1998. Now over 230,000 students from 80 countries take part.
Impact studies show that students gain an increased interest in science and technology by working with FLL®. FLL® does this by providing a practical and engaging way of involving students in the subject areas.
WHY FIRST® LEGO® League IS PERFECT FOR YOUR SCHOOL
AS A CLASSROOM RESOURCE:
- Promotes student engagement
- Allows for differentiation
- Promotes self-directed learning
- Encourage hands-on learning
- Has real-life connections
YOUR STUDENTS WILL DEVELOP AND APPLY THEIR 21ST CENTURY LEARNING SKILLS
- Identify relevant source of information using a range of resources
- Use language and communication skills
- Understand the scientific method of formulating hypotheses, testing, evaluating and rejecting/confirming hypotheses
- Work as part of a team
YOUR STUDENTS WILL ALSO DEVELOP AND APPLY THEIR STEM SKILLS
- Develop, evaluate, and modify their design ideas
- Learn about the concepts of input, process, and output and the importance of feedback in control systems
- See how complex systems break down into sub-systems
- Apply their existing maths knowledge
- Engage in mathematical discussions of results
A FIRST® LEGO® League challenge consists of three parts:
- A research assignment called ‘The Project’ where students research and come up with innovative ideas for solving a defined, real-world challenge.
- A ‘Robot Game’ where students design and program a LEGO®MINDSTORMS® robot to solve missions on a special obstacle course.
- ‘Core Values’, the work process the students go through to obtain important life skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, creativity and teamwork.